Sunday, September 2, 2012

Crock Pot Honey Sesame Chicken

I love using the crock pot.  Who doesn't?  Anything that can cut out time for meal prep and does all of the cooking for me gets a big, fat win in my book.  So when I came across a pin on Pinterest for "50 Delicious Slow Cooker Recipes at Chef In Training" I was very excited.  In fact, it was this pin that got me into the Chef In Training's website and I've been hooked ever since.

I decided to give this recipe a whirl tonight because I was short on time and had all of the ingredients already in my cupboard.  Plus, anything someone claims that their picky 2 year old scarfed down is something I immediately want to try since I, myself, have a picky 2 year old.

The outcome?  It was delicious.  The chicken was moist and not at all dried out and it had a very nice sweet and spicy flavor to it.    Did my picky 2 year old eat it?  No.  She looked at it like it was a bowl full of dirt and then screamed and cried for Woody (Toy Story), cheese, her Nana and a cracker (in that order).  I realize that that isn't quite the stellar review this recipe calls for but she's 2 so try not to take her opinion of this meal too seriously.

Anyways, without further adieu, here is the recipe.  Enjoy!

Crock Pot Honey Sesame Chicken
recipe from Chef In Training

Here is what you will need:



  • 2.5 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 cup of honey
  • 1/2 cup of soy sauce
  • 4 tablespoons of diced onion
  • 4 tablespoons of ketchup
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes (optional)
  • 4 teaspoons of cornstarch dissolved in 6 tablespoons of water
  • Sesame seeds
Season both sides of the chicken lightly with salt and pepper and put into the crock pot.  In a small bowl combine the honey, soy sauce, onion, ketchup, oil, garlic and pepper flakes and pout it over the chicken.
Cook on low for 3-4 hours or on high for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours, or just until chicken is cooked through.
Remove the chicken from the crock pot but leave the sauce.  Dissolve the 4 teaspoons of corn starch in the 6 tablespoons of water and pour into the crock pot.  Stir to combine.
Replace the crock pot lid and cook on high for 10 minutes, or until the sauce is slightly thickened.
Cut the chicken into bite size pieces, then return it to the pot and toss with the sauce before serving.
Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve over rice or noodles.

Note:  The ingredients for this recipe have been doubled as per the Chef In Training's website.  You can find the original recipe, which serves 4, at Baby Center.

No comments:

Post a Comment