Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Yummy in the Tummy Banana Bread

Nick (my husband for those of you who don't know) absolutely loves banana bread so every once in a while I set aside a few bananas from a bunch I have just bought and let them ripen up so I can make a loaf of one of his favorite treats.  Not to brag, but my recipe for banana bread is pure win and Nick sings my praises whenever I make it for him.  My wonderful mother took Avery for the day so while Zach napped I headed to the kitchen and got to bakin'.

Ingredients:

  • 1 stick  of unsalted butter - softened (note: a good trick to get softened butter fast is to put it in the microwave for 4 seconds on every side.  The end result is perfectly softened butter)
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • 1 egg, room temperature
  • 3 ripe bananas (the blacker the better)
  • 2 cups of flour
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • 1 teaspoon of baking soda dissolved in 3 tablespoons of cold water
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla
  • 1/2 cup of walnuts (optional)
Preheat over to 325 degrees.
Prepare loaf pan, cupcake pans or square pans with Pam or butter.
Combine the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl.  Beat with an electric mixer until combined.
Add egg and beat until creamy smooth
Add bananas and mix until combined.  The mixture will look watery and curdled like this.

Slowly add the flour, salt, vanilla, baking soda mixture and walnuts (if you are using them) until all of the ingredients are incorporated and smooth.
Pour or spread into your loaf pan, cupcake pans or square pan.
If you are using a large loaf pan, bake for approximately an hour; about 45 minutes for a square pan; about 25 minutes for cupcake pans.

(note: baking time will vary depending on the type of pan you use and your oven.  Test for doneness by inserting a toothpick)




3 comments:

  1. my recipe is:
    go to trader joe's, buy the mix, make the mix lol. i used to make it but cleaning the mixer is annoying

    ReplyDelete